New Studio Space | Embracing Natural Light

Tuesday, January 28, 2014



Wow. This is a post I would have never expected to hit my blog in 2014. I am SO overwhelmingly excited to announce that I am the proud renter of a STUDIO SPACE in NE Minneapolis! I have recently been dreaming about owning a studio space someday. But I wanted it to be different. To have huge windows that poured light into the space, and have brick walls and exposed pipes and character that couldn't just be built, it had to be acquired by years of age and physically worn at the seams of each brick and floorboard. Then, like magic, I am scrolling through Facebook one day and see this post from my very own wedding photographer. "CREATIVE STUDIO SPACE". I click- curious to see their studio space… And when I scrolled through the photos I fell in love, and knew that it could be mine if I just took a leap of faith.

So- naturally- I spent the next 24 hours day dreaming. Swooning over the things I could do in that space. Crunching numbers, getting some clients opinions, and convincing my fiancé that taking this risk would be worth the jump. I'm impulsive and determined, so when I decided (about 60 seconds after seeing the ad on craigslist) that I wanted this studio, Tony quickly realized I wasn't going to give up on it, and fully supported my dreams. So I made a few phone calls. Set up a meeting with Jeff for the next week, and the rest is history!

I am pleased to announce that this studio is NOT your average studio. Located in the Art District of Minneapolis, it is nestled on the 2nd story of a converted warehouse building. There are white walls, wood floors, exposed brick, a beautiful high ceiling with paint chipped beams, and the best part?… real sunlight pouring through the giant windows. There are no bright studio lights. No sponge painted backgrounds. No cheesy props. Just a casual, simple environment where creativity lives, and you, the subject, are the main focus.

Here are a couple of the looks we did at my studio debut! (Will be posting more looks later!) Meet my beautiful muse, Bethany, who owns the greatest hand lettering business in the land: Duende Hand Lettering. <--- click the link if you want to see beautiful inspiring hand-lettering + watercolor eye candy!



A huge thank you to my wedding VIDEOGRAPHER, and friend, Mariah Harrison, for creating this awesome video for me. It all started at Spyhouse Coffee, like most of our great ideas do. We decided to use a day at the studio for me to test out the lighting and environment, while she was going to capture me, doing what I do- so you could all witness what happens inside these walls!

Here are a couple behind the scenes pics of Mariah in action:


I am excited to begin this new chapter of my life and incorporate beautiful, bright studio work into my portfolio! 2014- you just keep getting better every day.
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground